My primary areas of interest are in the field of close relationships and ethnic studies. I am especially interested in the impact of personality characteristics (e.g., attachment styles, cultural values) and demographic characteristics (e.g., gender, ethnicity) on personal relationship processes (e.g., accommodation, interpersonal resource exchange).
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr. (1997). Culture, ethnicity, and personal relationship processes. New York: Routledge.
- Bunce, D., Handley, R., & Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2008). Depression, anxiety, and within-person variability in adults aged 18 to 85 years. Psychology and Aging, 23, 848-858.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2004). Color-line as fault-line: Teaching interethnic relations in California in the 21st century. Journal of Social Issues, 60, 175-193.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2001). Coping with prejudice: Romantic partners as sources of socioemotional support for stigmatized individuals. Journal of Social Issues, 57, 113-128.
- Agnew, C. R., Thompson, V. D., & Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2000). Incorporating proximal and distal influences on prejudice: Testing a general model across outgroups. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 26, 403-418.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr., Marelich, W. D., Bledsoe, K. L., Steers, W. N., Henderson, M. C., Granrose, C. S., Barajas, L., Hicks, D., Lyde, M., Takahashi, Y., Yum, N., Rios, D. I., Garcia, B. F., Farris, K., & Page, M. S. (1997). Links between race/ethnicity and cultural values as mediated by racial/ethnic identity and moderated by gender. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72, 1460-1476.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr., Panter, A. T., Lyde, M. C., Steers, W. N., Rusbult, C. E., Cox, C. L., & Wexler, M. O. (1997). Evaluating the circumplexity of interpersonal traits and the manifestation of interpersonal traits in interpersonal trust. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 73, 610-623.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr., & Reed, E. S. (1995). Prejudice: From Allport to Du Bois. American Psychologist, 50, 96-103.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2009). Psychiatry + social psychology = intergroup relations? PsycCRITIQUES—Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books, 54, Release 40, Article 4.
- Gaines, S. O., Jr. (2001). Review of Interpersonal Relationships. Contemporary Psychology, 46, 480-481.
- Cross-Cultural Variations in Psychological Findings
- Experimental Methods in the Human Sciences
- Individual and Social Processes
- Individual Differences
- Methods in Cross-Cultural Research
- Personality and Social Context
- Research Methods in the Human Sciences
- Social Psychology
Stanley O. Gaines, Jr.
School of Social Sciences
Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH
- Phone: +44 189-526-5485
- Fax: +44 189-526-9724